City of Winnipeg | Libraries

What Happens In The Sub-concious Mind

Saturday, August 19th 2017

I had a dream. It was freaky. I was at the lake, at Buffalo Point, and somebody (I don’t remember who) went missing. When that person went missing I decided to go for a walk to try and find him, I remember it was a guy… I think it was my little brother. I walked farther than was safe. I saw some wildlife while I was walking, I saw a deer. Then, the sky went dark, black, and I saw a brown bear emerged from the bushes. At first I thought it was cool, then I realized that this bear was too close to me. I froze, but it was too late. I made eye contact with the bear. It was still for a second. I felt the fear running through my body, I also felt helpless and clueless. I didn’t know what to do. The bear stayed still but I slowly started to back away. The second I moved he charged. He came directly at me. I started running away from him as fast as I could, I had a pretty good lead but every time I looked over my shoulder he was closer. I was starting to get tired at this point, the bear was getting closer and closer. Then suddenly the bear was right beside me. I didn’t know what to do so I hit it as hard as I could, and it doesn’t make any sense to me, but it went flying back into the bushes. I was relieved. I thought I was safe then he reappeared and was even angrier than before, I kept running, I hadn’t stopped running since he first started chasing me, I was super tired at this point. I kept running as fast as I could, but I didn’t scream or call for help, I was too busy running for my life. I looked over my shoulder one more time to see how close he was, to my relief he was farther away from me than I thought. I almost felt safe, but then I looked in front of me again and saw another bear, a bigger bear coming right at me. Once again I was terrified, I didn’t know what to do. As the bear got closer I heard a car in the distance, at the last second I jumped and flipped off the bear in front of me, landing on my back and rolling to my feet again. At this point I could see the car, I was so relieved to see my dad, sister, and grandpa in my grandpa’s big truck with my grandpa holding a gun. I felt the bear that I was running from close to me again. Too close. Dangerously close. It scared me again.

Then I woke up. When I woke up I noticed my heart racing and I was breathing hard. I woke up feeling the same panic I felt when the bear was super close to me. I didn’t jerk awake or anything, I just woke up. The panic quickly faded and I was calm again. I don’t know why, but whenever I have dreams like that I always wake up before anything bad happens. I like it that way, that way I don’t have to see what might have happened good or bad. To get a little bit of… I don’t know, closure? To put my dream behind me, or too stop focusing on it, I created my own ending to it.

As I felt the fear and panic, I hit the bear once again. I hit it as hard as I could and again, it flew back into the bushes. Great, one bear down, one more to go. The second bear, the smaller bear, was far enough behind me I let myself slow down a little bit trying to get to the truck. I had almost reached the truck when I felt hot breath on my back. A second later I heard a bang! The bear had stopped chasing me, but I kept running. I made it into the truck while my dad, who had taken the gun from my grandpa, shot the two bears over and over. When my sister asked me if I was hurt, I said no, I said that it wasn’t that kind of thing. I told her that if anything my ankle might hurt from all the running, or that I might have an asthma attack from running 6 miles as fast as I possibly could. I told them I didn’t hit my head or anything and they let me sleep.

That’s how I wrapped up my dream. I thought that if I made it a happy ending, one where I don’t die or get seriously hurt, it wouldn’t bother me so much. The more I thought about it, the more disturbing it felt. So I didn’t write it down in the morning, that’s why I can’t remember all the details. It bothered me too much, so I wrote it all down at 9:30pm. It doesn’t bother me much anymore, it’s not comfortable to relive but now that I have it down I feel better.

Leave a Reply