October 15, 2012
Our tech tip of the week: get the app! Our new WPL to Go Library app is compatible with all* smartphones and tablets and is meant to make using the library a breeze. You've got all the basics of your library account at your fingertips - books, requests, ebook downloads, locations and more. Here are my top five things to to with your WPL to Go app:
1. Check to see if you've got stuff waiting for you on the holds shelf at your branch. Just use "My Account," log in with your library card and you'll see:
Checked Out: The total number of items you have out
Ready: all the request items waiting for you
Requests: everything you've requested that's NOT ready yet
Current Balance: (boo!) any overdue charges or fees on your card
2. Check to see if your library branch is open. Use the "Library Locator" to find the branch closest to you (it reads your GPS location and automatically suggests the closest branch) and then select that branch to see whether it's open. SO much better than driving up to the door and finding out the branch is closed! :( You can also get directions to any branch in the city (like, if yours is closed!).
3. QUICKLY search for a book and place it on request. The app uses a smart text search that lets you search for things without having to enter in the full text of the author or title. You can search for "su co ca fi" to bring up all the copies and formats of Catching Fire.
Awesome. SO MUCH TIME SAVED FOR READING. :D
4. Browse a BOOKSTORE for library books. ;) Buying books is fun, but sometimes you'll see books in a bookstore that you're not quite sure you want to buy. Like, "that sounds good, but it's not a FOREVER book. Maybe they have it at the library." Well, now you can quickly find out if we do! Just use the app's BookLook scanner to take a snapshot of the publisher barcode on the back of the book. Within seconds you'll know if we have a copy, and in another few seconds you'll have a request placed on it. DONE.
5. Get an emergency eBook - NOW!! Ok, so you're stuck in a doctor's office or behind a train or at a relative's house waiting for everyone else to pack up so you can go home. AND YOU FORGOT TO BRING A BOOK!! Don't panic, you have a smartphone with a library app! use the quick "eLibraries Manitoba" link in the app to get a list of all the eLM eBooks that are available for immediate download (there are usually about 8000). Within minutes, you'll have an eBook at your fingertips. Sweet relief!!!
So how do you get the app? Easy, just go to winnipeg.boopsie.com on your phone or tablet; the script on that page is super-smart and will figure out exactly what you're using and take you to the store/download page for the app. It's almost SPOOKY how easy it is. :D
* A few notes, of course: the app is compatible with all smartphones and tablets; however, some (including the BlackBerry Playbook and some older Android tablets) can't install the app; with these, you need to run the app in your browser. Go to winnipeg.boopsie.com/m and you'll get an online version of the app. Some features (like the BookLook camera) don't work in the web version, but the majority of the app works just fine!
WE HOPE YOU ENJOY IT!! If you do, you can use the "Ask Us" part of the app to send us an email letting us know!
Sophie W. is a Virtual Services Librarian for WPL, which means she makes website things happen, and talks about eBooks a lot. She is also an avowed grammarphile and absolutely, completely, fervently, enormously, whole-heartedly loves adverbs.